Tuesday

HOME ... BLACKPOOL ...

My sister just came back from a quick week-long trip home ... it was my mother's wish that her ashes be scattered in the same cemetery that her mother's ashes were scattered, so the job fell upon my sister. .. The weather, needless to say, was typical English winter weather .. wet and breezy.



Blackpool is known for its Tower .. among many other things. The tower was built shortly after the Eiffel Tower ... at the end of the 19th century .. it's about 518' high. There's so much to tell about it - better if you go to http://www.blackpooltourism.com/ and check out my home town.



Blackpool has three piers jutting out into the Irish Sea .. this is the north pier. Lots to do at the end of the piers .. games, arcades, food, shows, fun!


This is the largest and fastest roller coaster in Europe .. it's called The Big One .. it's part of the 'Pleasure Beach' which is a huge carnival/boardwalk, open year round. In the foreground are some of the 'Illuminations' which is another thing my home town is famous for. My family spent many, many fun filled days there ... oh the memories ...




My parents lived here when I was born (in Blackpool) .. at that time is was known as Abbey Road Post Office but the post office is no more, although the shop sells every else that it did when my parents owned it. I don't really remember it but I am going to visit it when I'm over there for sure!



This is the Halfway House ... a really nice pub that my dad used to frequent. They have awesome food (as do most larger pubs in England) and they give you lots of it. It's on the corner of Squires Gate Lane and St. Anne's Road in Blackpool ... well worth a visit if you're in the area.

It's great seeing photos of places I knew but it just makes me homesick. Good job I'm going over there soon!

3 Comments:

At January 24, 2008 at 5:15 AM , Blogger Diane said...

We went to Blackpool every year for our annual holidays when I was a kid - staying in a "Boarding House" on Alexandra Road. I loved it as a kid, but its not somewhere I would holiday now - it has changed too much. I have some really fond memories of our family holidays - but I was always scared of the laughing clown outside of the fun house at the Pleasure Beach.

 
At January 24, 2008 at 8:28 AM , Blogger Blackpool Rocks said...

Hello Diane: Thank you for reading my blog ... yes, we LOVED Blackpool as kids .. it was a real 'family' town and I know it's not so much anymore (those towns seem to be disappearing very quickly) but it's my home town and it's unique .. I can't wait to get back and see the prom and Abbey Road and hopefully go in the place I was born.
I did NOT like that laughing clown either! lol but my sister and I would nag my poor Dad to death until he drove us there and parked!
He was a police constable through the war, then after it was over, he and Mother bought the shop on Abbey Road .. I'm just sad my mother isn't here anymore to tell me more about those times.
Well, I digress ... thank you again for taking time to read the blog ..
Jennifer

 
At January 24, 2008 at 2:30 PM , Blogger Mary said...

Hope you get to visit as planned Jen - there's no place like home even though it will be changed somewhat. Torquay is not posh and elegant as it was when I was growing up - but I still enjoy visiting and reliving childhood days.
Paula sent us a 'dirty seaside postcard' from Blackpool, ha! ha!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home