Sunday

HIP OP NERVES

Well, I've been to a whole-day pre-op for lab tests and various and sundry interviews and a 1-1/4 hour orientation with the group who's getting operated on around the same time as me. Some are knees (one and two-at-a-time) and some are hips. I'm supposed to have a 'coach' who will encourage me to exercise, help in changing the dressing and remind me of the follow-up things I have to do. It's difficult for me to get used to being my own support .. I had 32 years with Rich who was my strength and foundation .. and it's hard to realize I have to go it myself and find my own strength and motivation.
I'm hoping that being free of pain will help fight my depression to a certain degree and I'm thinking of adopting a dog when I can walk better so I'll have encouragement to see the town via foot power.
I've had to stop my Ibuprofen which was the only pain relief that seemed to help .. (and that was only very little help). I think they have you stop so you feel the full extent of your hip pain, then after the surgery the pain is SO MUCH less! lol
Sleep deprivation is settling in ... the thoughts of the operation are pervasive ... but on the bright side, I should sleep well after surgery and catch up!
The day after surgery there's a celebration buffet lunch at the 'Center for Joint Replacement' (Fremont, CA) where all the patients mingle and compare notes I suppose. Then I'll be home ..

I thought if I put my feelings into words, I'd feel better .. not sure it worked!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home