Wednesday

FIREFIGHTERS ARE WINNING!

I returned home today from Lake Almanor and the two main southerly roads were just opened to controlled traffic! I got a good look at some of the damage done by the fires .. driving along I'd see burned out areas, then untouched patches ... burned ground down to the road on one side yet untouched on the other ... hillsides scorched down to the river, but not across it.
I took this when I was stopped at one of the control points. I had about an 8 minute wait while the pilot car brought traffic heading in the opposite direction ... the road was open in one lane for about 2 miles. I didn't see any firefighters anymore .. it was basically CalTrans crews and heavy equipment operators who were cleaning up much of the downed and damaged trees, etc.
I was pleased to see some "Thank You Firefighters" signs ... without their diligence, it could have been much, much worse. Their job is really a thankless one until disaster strikes, then all of a sudden we are grateful for them. I take a home-made specialty pie every 4 - 6 weeks to our local firehouse, just to let them know they're appreciated!
This area .. Highway 32 from Chester to Chico (NE California) is absolutely gorgeous .. the drive takes us alongside a meandering river ... steep cliffs and rugged terrain ... tall firs and dense undergrowth. Most of the trees I saw today look like they'll survive ... their trunks were black but the foliage wasn't totally burned so hopefully they'll make it.
THANK YOU FIREFIGHTERS!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home