Sunday

Mother .. lost to Alzheimer's Disease

My dear mother died in January this year, at 93 (just two months before Rich) ... she had lived with Rich and I for 18 years but finally we couldn't handle her anymore and she moved into an adult foster home near my sister in California.
We first noticed the onset of Alzheimer's Disease when she was about 83 but we thought it was just forgetfulness ... the monster wouldn't let go of her until it finally won.
I wrote an ode to mother one day when I was feeling particularly low ... here it is:

Mother where are you?
You’re in there somewhere … the loving parent, the laugh, the smile, the compassion … they’re hiding behind the most cruel of inflictions - perhaps never to be seen again.
Why have you been robbed of who you are, why have I been robbed of my dearest mother? This devastating disease has taken you from me … if only I could find a way to reach you. I cry, my heart aches with heaviness, sadness overtakes me, despair is fighting to take over but I have to remain strong, you taught me that. I miss you so. You’re here but you’re not … we talk, but do you know who I really am? Do you know what I mean to you .. what you mean to me? The lump in my throat that comes when my eyes well up with tears is here with me.
You epitomized the word “mother” in every sense … you were the best! You were my comforter when I had nightmares .. you’d climb in bed and comfort me until I fell asleep; when I was sick you were my nurse .. always checking on me, giving me special food and attention when I needed it the most; when I was upset you were my counselor .. the voice of reason and common sense.
Why has God allowed this cruel and indiscriminate misery to overtake you? You’re the last person who should be punished … the first who should be rewarded.
Oh Mother, where are you?

3 Comments:

At June 5, 2007 at 4:09 AM , Blogger a Pocket Angel said...

Hello, I am so sorry for the loss of your Mother. The pain can be unbearable loosing someone you love so much, be it a mother (or in my case a child). Yes, this "Monster" disease of Alzheimer's is devastating! How my heart goes out to you. Your "Mother where are you?" was so moving, I am in still in tears. I understand your pain and sorrow, I lost my Father to a similar disease. It was so sad seeing him slip away and there was nothing I could do.
Try and remember the good days. Thanks you for sharing this post. ~Mary~

 
At June 5, 2007 at 5:42 AM , Blogger FourSistersInACottage said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your Mom.
My Mom is still with us and she has cared for 10 Alzheimer men and women for the last 8 years.
She retired just this past year after the death of my Dad but she misses them dearly and goes to visit when she can.
I am truly sorry for your loss and I know what it is like to lose someone like you have. The pain is unbearable and knowing there is nothing you can do is equally as bad.
You will be in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time in your life and please know....we will all see each other again.
Hugs, Amy (Mom to the Four Sisters)

 
At June 5, 2007 at 7:11 AM , Blogger Blackpool Rocks said...

I hope and pray they find a cure for Alzheimer's Disease before long .. I certainly don't want to go out that way! It's hardest on the families because the person who has it, doesn't realize what's happening .. that's the only 'blessing'.
Amy ... my prayers are with you. My dear Rich had two cancers (1999 and 2004) and beat them both ... so stay strong.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home