Sunday

LAKE ALMANOR - May 2008

I took a trip up to Lake Almanor on May 7th for a 'getaway' and a dental appointment. 95% of the snow had melted but there were still patches of snow in areas where the sun doesn't reach .... just enough to remind us that winter once had a firm grip on this place.


Mt. Lassen is the southernmost active volcano in the Cascade Range .. part of the Cascade Volcanic Arc that stretches from northern California to southwestern British Columbia. Lassen rises 2,000 feet above the surrounding terrain and has a volume of half a cubic mile, making it one of the largest lava domes on Earth. It was created on the destroyed northeastern flank of now gone Mount Tehama. Mt. Lassen has the distinction of being the only other volcano in the Cascades, besides Mount St. Helens, to erupt during the 20th century. You can drive almost anywhere from Lake Almanor and see the snow-capped peak of Mt. Lassen looming large.

Spring is my favorite time of year .. the renewal of Mother Earth. I drove past this field which was covered in small yellow flowers ... not dandelions and not buttercups ... just not known to me!


This is a view taken from the top deck of the house. The lower deck is at the top of the stairs which take you down to the lake and to the floating docks which are there in the summer months.

I was there alone and even though I didn't think I'd like being there by myself ... I did! It was peaceful and quiet and the weather was near-perfect. My dental appointment went well and I return at the end of May to finalize Stage Two of the work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home